Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Squash, pear, and onion au gratin.

Mike found this recipe in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook.  I love that cook book!! You'll find a ton of classic and traditional recipes. Reminds me of my grandma's cooking.

Click on the link here to find it.


My notes;

the recipe calls for one medium pear, I would get two.  I would get whatever looks firm and ripe and smells like a fresh pear.  We used bosc. I would also sprinkle or grate a hint of  fresh nutmeg over the squash and pear layers.

We also modified the topping with a little extra parmesan cheese, a little extra butter, and all we had were Italian seasoned bread crumbs.  I liked the extra kick these provided.

Finally, I would cut back from one whole onion to half an onion.  The onion over powered everything else.  Get a white onion or the mildest you can find.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for posting this, and the sausage stuffing recipe!

    ReplyDelete